Laser Hair Removal Comprehensive Guide: Everything You Need To Know
Think of a moment when you are suppose to get ready for an unexpected event and you have not shaved or waxed yourself. Sounds shabby?
Now, what if you any how have to present yourself in front of others this way? Inconceivable, isn’t it?
For this, the best possible solution you can think of is either shaving of those unwanted hair or get indulged into waxing. These kind of short term solutions often end up in piling up numerous complications. Issues such as rashes, ingrown hair and dry skin are the side effects of tweezing, shaving or waxing if done on regular basis. Along with this, the aforementioned procedures can be too much messy, tiresome and definitely painful.
Up till now, you must be thinking that what is the best alternative to all these above stated measures which can be advantageous from all the directions? Actually it’s quite simple. Get rid of your nightmare i.e. unwanted hair permanently. Yes, by all means it is possible.
With the advent of globalization and technological advancement, skincare industry has evolved drastically in the past decade. This has resulted into numerous innovations which has helped in cosmetic procedures for skin hair removal. Amidst such procedures is one known as Laser Hair Removal.
Table of ContentsToggle
What is laser hair removal and the science backing it
To initiate, the procedure in which hair follicle is ravaged by exposing hair to the pulses of laser light for attaining hair removal is termed as Laser hair removal (LHR). With this method a specific chromophore can be targeted selectively to damage the basal stem cells within the hair follicles partially with the help of laser.
As per the records, laser hair removal was initially proven to be successful in 1996, post which the United States Food and Drug Administration gave a green signal to this technology in the year 1997.
The primitive theory backing the Laser Hair Removal therapy comprises of harmonizing the pulse duration and a specific wavelength of light in order to acquire optimum impact on the targeted tissue whilst nominal impression on the adjoining tissues which is termed as selective photothermolysis. Melanin – a target matter is being selectively damaged with lasers which ends up in heating up the basal stem cells in the hair follicle, avoiding to heat the rest of the skin. While melanin is considerably the foremost chromophore for overall hair removal laser techniques, it has a characteristic of natural occurrence in the skin which is the sole contributor of color to the hair and skin.
When to consider Laser Hair Removal
We as humans are naturally gifted with an ample hair on our body. But this sometimes encumbers us from being quite confident at places. Along with this it many a times becomes a hindrance in choosing how to dress up and limiting our ability to put on certain garb.
Moreover if you are a person with embracing light tone skin whilst dark hair or seeking for an alternative to the traditional methods such as waxing, shaving or bleaching etc., laser hair removal is the best possible treatment to be considered.
Ideal Areas of Laser Hair Removal
So this drowns us into a dilemma that which part of the body can be treated for removing unwanted hair?
The professionals at Sakhiya Skin Clinic are competent enough to utilize various lasers such as Diode, Alexandrite and N-YAG to help you do away with the displeasing hair. The scope of implementation has increased vastly with which numerous body parts namely face, neck, underarms, arms, stomach, bikini area, legs etc. can be treated to give you an alluring result.
How to prepare yourself for Laser Hair Removal
Laser Hair Removal requires multiple sessions to give the output of the treatment a satisfactory view. While it takes up to 7-10 sittings to give your skin a pretty clean result, the Laser Hair Removal succors you to get rid of spending your valuable time and money on cosmetic equipment’s every now and then.
Hence, if you make a thought of consulting the Sakhiya Skin Clinic which unarguably claims to provide best services of Laser Hair Removal, there are some prerequisites that you must take a note of prior to the appointment day.
Try to keep the amount of hair very minimal while attending your appointment as longer hair can make the process more painful. It is best if you shave the area that is to be treated a night before to ensure that the unwanted hair does not get the time to grow back. Also, try to avoid tweezing, plucking or waxing for almost two to three weeks before the appointment date. Your skin might be sensitive and thus to avoid certain side effects, reduce your time in exposure to the sun for atleast a month before your treatment.
Procedure for Laser Hair Removal
Let’s discuss in detail about the most imperative subject that is the procedure of Laser hair removal.
Laser Hair Removal is not a long procedure, it just takes a few simple steps mentioned below-
- The dermatologist cleans the area where the laser is to be done and a cooling gel is applied to shield the skin from the laser. Protective eyewear is also given to cover the eyes from any prospective damage caused by the laser.
- A handheld laser is used to work on the hair follicles in the treatment area.
- A very strong beam of light is emitted by the laser. It penetrates the skin and gets absorbed by the pigment (melanin) in the hair.
- This beam of light heats the melanin and then, this heat is transferred to the stem cells in the hair follicles.
- This heat emitted by the laser damages the hair follicles and doesn’t let them grow shortly too.
- Now comes the duration part. It depends on the area to be treated. A small area may take a few minutes whereas a larger area may take up to an hour.
- This procedure targets the hair follicles in the growing phase (anagen). It works best during this stage as hair contains the most melanin this time.
- Since all the hair follicles can’t be at the same stage at the same time, repetitive sessions are required for complete hair-free skin.
Cost of Laser Hair Removal
Laser Hair Removal is a vast concept and thus the bucks to spend on it depends on various factors.
The cost varies widely depending on the factors such as the time required for the treatment as well as the size of the area being treated. Along with this, the number of sessions required for the treatment is also taken into consideration post examining the thickness of your hair.
To conclude, Laser Hair Removal treatment has played a vital role in attaining freedom from unwanted hair since past two decades all over the globe. Moreover, Sakhiya Skin Clinic under the guidance of Dr. Jagdish Sakhiya has successfully treated over twenty lakh procedure using LHR in numerous cities all around India and still counting. This is an easiest and most convenient method to get rid of your unbidden body hair at a feasible price.
Full body (5 sessions)
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
There is not just one benefit of Laser Hair Removal but plenty of it; such as
Saves your time
The laser sessions just take a few minutes if the treatment area is small like the upper lips. This time is much less than your salon appointments for waxing. The lasers can remove multiple hairs at once.
Less to no pain
Shaving and waxing do involve some pain but laser treatment doesn’t give you any kind of pain, not even mild. You can feel a little discomfort in the initial sessions but later on, you won’t feel anything. Moreover, a cooling gel is also applied to soothe to skin before the treatment.
Much lesser side effects
Shaving and waxing do leave the skin red and irritated but laser sessions don’t let you feel anything but smooth and soft skin. Very few people experience a burning sensation but that can be calmed down by applying aloe vera gel or any soothing cream.
Get rid of ingrown hair
Shaving cuts off the hair from the skin’s surface and waxing removes hair from a deeper level but the lasers remove the hairs at their follicles. Hence, you won’t be having any ingrown hair for months.
Hair gets lighter
In many cases, it has been observed that after every session, the thickness of people’s hair is reduced. It can’t be claimed but there’s always a possibility that some areas may get permanent hair loss.
A big-time money-saver
Though laser treatments may seem expensive at first, it saves you a lot of time and money in the long run. You don’t have to buy anything like razors, creams, or wax if getting laser done. Other than nominal aftercare, you just have to use SPF 30+ sunscreen, and no other lotion is required.
Far safer approach
It’s much safer than any other hair removal method. There is no risk of cut or any allergic reaction with chemicals as only lasers are used. This is even applied by an expert, thereby causing little to no danger. So just approach a certified and reputed dermatologist and you’re good to go.
Is laser hair removal safe for all skin types?
Studies have been conducted to check if laser hair removal is safe or not. Let’s have a look at a few outcomes of those studies.
- The usage of a laser module combining three wavelengths (755, 810, and 1064 nm) in a single pulse is completely safe and totally effective in removing hair for all skin types.
- Hair counts have been significantly reduced among all skin types without any adverse reactions for all the people with different skin types.
- The in-motion technique used in the treatment provides short pulses with high repetition, gradually heats the dermis, and diminishes hair growth thereby causing minimal pain and damage to the skin.
Hence, it’s completely safe for all skin types if performed by an experienced and trained healthcare provider.
Who is a good candidate for laser hair removal?
Generally, anyone can go for laser hair removal. Only those who have certain medical conditions should be refrained from going for this procedure as it may lead to any adverse reactions.
- People with skin disorders like psoriasis or eczema, as it may make the skin more sensitive.
- Pregnant women should wait for the postpartum period just to avoid any risks.
- Any active skin infection, as it may disrupt the results.
- People with light hair (blonde, red, or grey) colour, as the laser works on melanin, the pigment responsible for dark hair. Dark hair on light skin is the perfect condition to get the best results from laser treatment.
- People with any auto-immune disorders or a history of keloid scarring.
- People who take antibiotics, especially for Roaccutane.
- People who recently got tanned for any reason should wait for the tanning to get removed, as it may lead to complications like pigmentation, burns, and scarring.
Hence, everyone is a good candidate for laser hair removal except the aforementioned ones.