Our skin tells the story of our life, yet scars can leave unwanted marks. Scarring, which is a normal part of the healing process, can influence not just how our skin appears but also how we feel. If you’re having problems with the look, texture, or health of your skin due to scars from injuries, surgery, or other damage, know that Sakhiya Skin Clinic is here to assist with treatments that may help improve the appearance of your skin and your confidence.
Scar revision is a treatment that aims to make scars blend in more naturally with the tone and texture of your skin. Scars, those lasting reminders of healed wounds, can range in form from barely visible to large and disfiguring. They may be different in colour, shape, or texture from the surrounding skin. Scar revision provides choices for enhancing scar look, but it is important to understand that while it can improve cosmetic outcomes, total scar eradication is not always achievable.
Scars are the outcome of injuries and surgeries, often appearing unexpectedly. Even wounds that heal well can leave behind scars that affect how we look and feel. Scars may be conspicuous due to their size, location, or irregular shape.
Types of scars
Scars can be in a variety of shapes and sizes. Hypertrophic scars are thick and elevated, whereas keloid scars are extremely big and lumpy. They might also be flat, discoloured, or depressed (sunk beneath the skin’s surface). Scar type, location, and origin all play a role in identifying the best scar revision procedure for you.
Scar Revision Treatment
- Topical Treatment: Scar texture and colour can be improved using topical treatments such as creams, gels, or silicone sheets.
- Laser Therapy: Laser treatments improve the look of scar tissue while also increasing collagen production.
- Steroid Injections: They can lessen the size and redness of elevated scars like keloids and hypertrophic scars.
- Surgical Treatments: Surgeries can be used to restructure, relocate, or reduce the size of a scar.
- Dermabrasion: A procedure for smoothing up damaged regions that includes removing the top layer of skin.
- Microdermabrasion: A less invasive variant of dermabrasion that also aids in skin texture improvement.
Scar revision is an option for everyone who has an unwanted or visible scar. Scarring can occur for various reasons, including:
- Burns caused by an accident or radiation therapy
- Caesarean birth (C-section)
- Cleft lip and palate repair surgery
- Reconstructive or cosmetic surgery
- Skin Infections
- Injuries caused by trauma