Augmentation mammoplasty or Breast Augmentation is a surgical procedure. Its purpose is to increase the size, shape or fullness of the breast; this is done using different types of implants depending on the patient’s wishes.
Breast augmentation, commonly known as breast surgery, is a cosmetic technique that enhances the size and form of a person’s breasts. It has gained popularity over time, helping people to attain their goals and boost their confidence. Whether you want to regain breast volume lost due to pregnancy or ageing, or just want to improve your appearance, a breast augmentation procedure may be a life-changing decision.
Breast augmentation is a procedure designed to enhance breast size and shape by inserting implants beneath the breast tissue or chest muscles. These implants can be filled with either saline solution or silicone gel. They are available, in sizes and shapes to suit individual preferences.
The surgery is typically performed under anaesthesia. A small incision is made either around the areola in the breast crease or, in the armpit. The surgeon takes care in placing the implants to achieve a harmonious appearance that complements your body.
The process of breast augmentation usually involves the following steps;
Consultation: The journey begins with a consultation, with a plastic surgeon. During this, you will discuss your goals, desired breast size, implant options, and incision placement. The surgeon will assess your suitability as a candidate and provide recommendations.
Surgery: On the day of the procedure you will be given anesthesia. Your surgeon will make incisions based on your preferences, carefully insert the implants into position, and ensure they are placed correctly to achieve your desired outcome.
Recovery: After surgery, it is normal to experience some discomfort, swelling and bruising which should gradually subside over time as you recover from the procedure. Most patients are typically able to resume their activities after a week.
Results: As time passes your breasts will naturally adjust and settle into their shape and position. This will give you a more youthful look, which can greatly enhance your self-confidence.
Breast augmentation can be required for a variety of reasons, including:
- Genetics: Genetics are important in influencing breast size and form. If your breasts are naturally smaller owing to hereditary causes, breast augmentation might offer the required enlargement.
- Ageing and Pregnancy: Because ageing and pregnancy can cause a reduction in breast volume and suppleness, breast augmentation is a common treatment option for women who want to retain a youthful appearance.
Need For Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation is a procedure that individuals consider for reasons including;
- Small Breast Size: Some people naturally have breasts and opt for breast augmentation to achieve their desired breast size and boost their self-confidence.
- Loss of Breast Volume: Factors like pregnancy, breastfeeding or weight loss can result in a decrease in breast volume. Women may choose breast augmentation to restore fullness and shape.
- Asymmetry: Women with differences in the size of their breasts can opt for breast augmentation to create a balanced and symmetrical appearance.